1. The site is currently a work in progress.. please be patient.
    Dismiss Notice

Toronto Slang/OVO Vocab Catalog

Discussion in 'OVO Sound' started by Hyer, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Hyer

Hyer THE ONE ABOVE
    Staff Member

Toronto Area natives and OVO/OMO/TOPSZN Fans
    Post 6 lingo with a comprehensive definitions.
    This is the OVOF version.
    "it ain't about who did it first
    It's 'bout who did it right"

[​IMG]

This will be a perpetually running catalog of 6 slang. Anything can be added from Torontonian Slang and that area, but this is mostly focus around Drake's Music and OVOSOUND's Music as a whole. You'll see in this version we have more of an focus on that and with more detail. Because of this you may see slang included that hasn't originated in Toronto or isn't apart of Jamaican Patois. Other than slang, we may have places associated with OVOSOUND's music. Please provide song lyrics, if you can. You can provide videos as well, it can be funny or not. In an effort to shorten the OP we'll mark all definitions with a Spoiler tag.
    First a break down of the Obvious stuff.
    [​IMG]Drake - Grammy Award Winning Rapper/Rnb Artist and Actor. Co-Founder and Co-owner of OVOSOUND along side "40" and Oliver. Aubrey Graham, 6God, Champagne Papi, Drizzy, Drizzy Drake, The Boy, The Man, Heartbreak Drake, October's Very Own, Mr. October, Light Skin Keith Sweat, Drakkardnoir, Captain Hook
    [​IMG]Noah "40" Shebib - Drake’s main musical partner as a producer and engineer. Co-Founder and Co-owner of OVOSOUND along side Drake and Oliver. 40’s production has become synonymous with Drake and outside of Drake's Lyrics, 40 is what makes Drake's sound his unique to him as artist. 40 usually incorporates elements of R&B and Soul with various Southern-influenced sounds with down-tempo and ambient style of production. Originally named "40 days & 40 nights" for his restlessness in the studio, later it changed to "40". [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Oliver El-Khatib - Co-Founder and Co-owner of OVOSOUND along side Drake and "40". Drake's Manager along side Future the Prince, Drake's Dj. The most mysterious of the Big Three. Oliver pretty much spearheads the whole OVO brand, and aside from the people making the music, he's the most important member as the Creative Director and he leads the clothing operation. He's extremely into fashion.He just likes to lay low. s/o to @Ochocinco for this info
    [​IMG]

Future The Prince
    - Drake's Official DJ and Drake's Manager along side Oliver
    :ryan:OVORyan or Ryan Silverstein - Drake's assistant and family, cousin.
    [​IMG]
    Chubbs - Drake's close friend and head of security/bodyguard as seen in the grey hoodie. Usually somewhere near Drake at all sometimes.

[​IMG]OVO - October's Very Own a Brand and Movement created around the fact that Drake is born in the Month of October, the 24th. The October feeling or the transition of fall into Winter highly effects the mood of Drake's music. Its overarching over most of things related to Drake. Its also the part of the name of OVOSound label.
    [​IMG]PARTYNEXTDOOR - Rnb Artist and Producer under the OVOSound label. PND, PARTY, PARTYOMO, Private Party SLS, Sauga City Kid.
    PARTYNEXTDOOR - Let it Rain
    "I do this shit OMO
    OMO till I go"
    [​IMG]
    OMO - On My Own, Ferina PARTYNEXTDOOR's SubMovement under the OVO Banner
    [​IMG]
    Ferina = For Real
    [​IMG]
    Ferina Forever = For Real Forever
    Partynextdoor's brand name beside OMO/Clothing Brand along. The e accented or signified by a stylized capital F for Ferina.
    OB OBrien - Schemin' up feat. Drake, P Reign
    [Bridge 3: OB OBrien]
    "She's like 'TOPSZN, is that a bad thing?'
    I'm like 'I don't know, are you a bad ting?'"
    TOPSZN - Pronounced “Top Season”, TOPSZN as referred to as “The Regime” often mentioned by Drake, OB O'Brien and their Drake's cousin/close friend Ryan.
    [​IMG]
    Ob OBrien's SubMovement under the OVO Banner, but highly helped by Drake of course. Often signified by a hand gesture.
    [​IMG]
    Many people question exactly what TOPSZN is. There’s even been speculation that TOPSZN is a strain of weed or a sexual gesture(Oral). While both interpretations could be correct, it’s most likely just a movement. It's the Biggest movement outside of OVO itself, even though its just extension of it.
    From Time - way of sayin for a long time, since way back
    From way back when
    been gettin money from time
    been a gangsta from time
    dem man been grindin from time
    Ting - A Woman in the usual case, but it can more than that like a Thing or an Object.
    Wasteman - is a Jamaican slang term used to refer to people who are a waste of anyone’s time. idiot; incompetent.
    Know Yourself - Drake
    "I've always been me I guess I know myself"
    0 to 100/Catch Up - Drake
    "Know Yourself know your worth."​
    3.jpg Know Yourself - this Phrase means that the person you say it to doesn't know who they are, so your instructing them to do so. Understand yourself and your position in relation to others/Worth. The Term is used heavily in Toronto urban community. Frequently it occurs in Drake's music, telling that he has a higher level of self understanding and employs the listener and everyone else to do so as well. Lowkey this is deeply philosophical the concept used by Classical Greek Philosophers.Know yourself/know thyself is also an aphorism that has been attributed to a number of ancient Greek sages, including Socrates, Heraclitus and Pythagoras.
    "Care first about the greatest perfection of the soul." — Socrates
    So basically a Term used a Slang term also embodies the definition "Know Yourself is the beginning of all wisdom."​
    Link - to contact or get in touch with someone.
    Dash away – to cut off; to not care or respond to someone.
    Cyattie - noun; 1. A ratchet female, or an undesirable female. No one wants to be with a cyattie.
    2. a girl who likes to start fights with every "Bitch" or girl that she is jealous of, dresses in (but not limited to) ratchet neon tights, tight fitted jeans that don't fit properly, fitteds or snapbacks, Jordan's (usually the cheapest ones from the Nike Outlet), wears pounds of makeup thinking it looks good and speaks "lyke dis"
    3. Used to refer to just women in general, especially one you are courting. However, the girl on How About Now uses it to mean a sketel aka Thot.
    Cheesed me – to make a fool of or play someone and upset them.
    Run up – Fight Me or come to my side and catch this heat.
    Woes - New Orleans slang meaning associate or friend. Derived from Woedi slang meaning the same. Drake being mentored by Lil Wayne, New Orleans rapper would hear it.
    - Another Definition could be W.O.E meaning Working On Excellence
    - Within the context of the Know Yourself and other related Drake verses. Woes could also mean hardships, problems etc. Drake's talking about working dead end jobs, Helping his mother pay the rent on the first floor of the Duplex, where they lived, lower end cars and trying to keep up with fashion trends.
    Mashallah - "Mashallah" or "Mash'Allah" is an Arabic phrase used to show appreciation for a person or happening. The closest English translation is "God willed it." It is used to show joy and praise, and is evoked upon hearing good news.
    Wallahi - means i swear to allah, which is used by muslims, but has become famous in Toronto because samoli's say it in almost every sentence.
    Boasy - Really confident, showing off. The word originates from the West Indies, in the Reggae scene. Stems from ‘boasty’.
    Gwanin - Another West Indies term for ‘acting like’ or ‘feeling’
    Wassy - A Jamaican/Trinidad based term for being ‘gangsta’ or ‘going crazy’

Cut - Leave
    Seen - Oh I See
    Mossin – Chilling
    Ahlie – to make a fool of or play someone and upset them.
    Nyeaah Ehhh – Yeah Eh
    Say Wallahi - Swear to God
    Bucket - Ugly or not Attractive. homeless person or bum ass nigga
    Yuzeeit - You See it
    Mandem - a group of guys, whether your friends or just mans from elsewhere
    Truusssst Me - Trust Me, Believe Me
    My Yute - My Child, or My young one
    Styll - Still
    Soft - literally means soft or easy

In this song, Safe - Now sings "I fucked her and her friend, I kowalled her."
    Kowalled - means to trick somebody, or have them do something they weren't expecting to do.
    Safe - kinda like everythings good, cool
    Proper - dope, tight
    Vexxed - angry / mad
    Facety - rude / out of line
    Gear - clothes
    Base - house/crib
    Batty Bwoy - faggot / homo

Sources: Lyrics, OVOforums community, Urban Dictionary and rap genius.

Still being worked and will always be continuously
    Feel free to suggest more.​

#1 Hyer, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  2. Hyer

Hyer THE ONE ABOVE
    Staff Member

Extention of the op since its over 20,000 characters.

#2 Hyer, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  3. Hyer

Hyer THE ONE ABOVE
    Staff Member

--------LOCATIONS--------

Drake - 0 to 100/The Catch Up
    "The 6 ain't friendly but it's where I lay up"
    OB O'Brien - 2 on/Thotful Feat. Drake
    "Comin' from the 6 side"​
    The 6 -

Oh, and he’s already announced the title of his fourth album, Views From The 6, despite not having properly started the recording process. “He’s been trying to rebrand Toronto in the eyes of the youth, since two of the area codes have the number ‘6’ in it,” explains Noah “40” Shebib, Drake’s longtime producer and co-founder of OVO Sound. “When he started referring to Toronto as the ‘6,’ fans started tweeting out names and Drake had to be like, ‘Yo, yo, yo, I want to claim my stake on this before someone else does.’”

:6hands:

In early March 2014, a photo of Toronto featuring the CN Tower was posted to the Drake’s official Instagram account, @Champagnepapi, accompanied by the caption, “I miss the 6!!! #Toronto #JimmyPrimeNamedIt #The6 #Home #SummerInToronto #Paradise.”

Jimmy Prime, also known as Jimmy Johnson, is a local Toronto rapper who released his first album, In God We Trust, early 2014. The first record from the project, “Pray,” debuted on record company October’s Very Own’s website in late March 2014. The company is co-owned by Drake.

“As I view The 6 from my balcony, I pray to God she’ll look out for me. My new religion this rapping things, because everything ain’t what it seems,” Johnson raps on the track “Don’t Stop.”
    [​IMG]
    Jungle - the slang name for Lawrence Heights, a particularly rough neighborhood in Toronto. 2nd: A community in North York with a large population of people of African/Caribbean descent. [​IMG]

PARTYNEXTDOOR - Break From Toronto
    "This what Sauga feels like in the night time"
    PARTYNEXTDOOR - Right Now
    "Cause you South Beach soaking for the Sauga City kid"
    Sauga/Sauga City - Mississauga City, Ontario, Canada. A city that borders Toronto on the west side. Birthplace of PARTYNEXTDOOR and the city that he represents in his music.
    The Hazelton Hotel, a luxury hotel in Yorkville, Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Drake, OB, and other OVO members stay here when in Toronto.

R30 and ウェーブ神 like this.
  4. Based 6 God

Based 6 God Views From the 6

im that bored like help a nigga out man
    :banderas:

#4 Based 6 God, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2015
    Based 6 God likes this.
  5. Based 6 God

:banderas::6god::6hands:good lookin bruh

Hyer likes this.
  6. Plus None

Plus None Thank Me Later

This could actually make for a pretty dope thread haha

7. ウェーブ神

ウェーブ神 PND God

Lol bruh please don't tell me you went to search for slang on YouTube, and drake ugly for da lmao !!!

8. Hyer

Hyer THE ONE ABOVE
    Staff Member

There is a thread on KTT about it I could remake here and add shout outs

9. Plus None

Plus None Thank Me Later

DO YOU MAN. would be worth it I think

Hyer likes this.
  10. ウェーブ神

ウェーブ神 PND God

Ik some of you NightOwls got a Tumblr and IG go follow da shit quit ghosting on dem, dey page be flaming aswell

11. Hyer

Hyer THE ONE ABOVE
    Staff Member

doing it now

12. Hyer

Hyer THE ONE ABOVE
    Staff Member

Last Post: Ever
    First Post: Greatest

#12 Hyer, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  13. ウェーブ神

ウェーブ神 PND God

Lol cheese !!!
    Cheeseee !!
    Dat shut is funny asl, dey got da real "Jamaican ting goin bombaclat we mudrdurrr in Jamaica ya herrrr" lol

Hyer likes this.
  14. Plus None

Plus None Thank Me Later

15. Plus None

Plus None Thank Me Later

Maybe add blessed and on fleek

Hyer likes this.
  16. ウェーブ神

ウェーブ神 PND God

I thought on fleek was originated here

17. Plus None

Plus None Thank Me Later

I think they use it in Toronto but you're right it didn't originate there.

ウェーブ神 likes this.
  18. Based 6 God

:6god:
    too fucking tough bruh

19. Hyer

Hyer THE ONE ABOVE
    Staff Member

More will be added later

Based 6 God likes this.
  20. Based 6 God